A strong cooperation between science and business is the result of a highly productive research and technology cluster, which also enables the development of start-ups.
- There are 54,222 people in Madrid working in R+D+i, more than any other region of the country. Not surprisingly, Madrid is the Spanish city that invests the most in R+D+i, 3.923 Billion Euros in 2018, more than 26% of the entire country’s total.
- Madrid enjoys the largest number of researchers and professors in Spain, including more than 36% of all of those who are involved in scientific study and investigation in the entire country.
- The Spanish Patent Registry shows that Madrid generates 21% of all of the patents sought in Spain, mainly in the pharmaceutical, transport and biotechnology sectors.
SOURCES: INE, 2019; COMUNIDAD DE MADRID, 2015; OFICINA EUROPEA DE PATENTES, 2018
- Stimulates and manages the flow of knowledge and technology among universities, research institutions, companies and markets. It includes 600 Associates, 6 Theme clusters and 4 Technology Parks.
- Another program is underway for the creation of 5 new clusters in strategic sectors: Engineering, Architecture and Construction, Cybersecurity, Fintech, Big Data, Circular Economy
Initiative that aims to make Madrid and environs the forerunner of European technological development by raising competitiveness through public-private collaboration. Projects underway include:
- Madrid Financial Platform: to introduce innovative business projects to the financial community.
- Talent Project: to link candidates’ best academic records to initial job searches.
- Return Project: to facilitate the return of highly qualified personnel.
- Looking to the Future: to adapt training to workforce profiles that businesses will need.
- Call for the MadrIDtech Awards: to recognize the best ideas and innovative companies.
- Economic Aid: Assistance for startups, financing of projects of excellence development of R&D in companies and implementation of Industry 4.0.
- Largest Fintech cluster in Spain, more than 100 companies.
- Goal of making Madrid the leader of Fintech and innovative companies in the financial sector.